The Essence of Agile
– What is Agile?
– Agile over ancient models
– My first encounter with Agile
– Process Learning & Improvement
– Common mistakes and fall-backs
What is Agile?
Agile Development: Continuous integration as ‘Only change is constant’
– Individuals & Interactions over process and tool.
– Working Software over comprehensive documentation.
– Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
– Responding to change over following a plan
Agile over ancient models
– Understanding & writing Specifications
– Performing in-depth analysis and design
– Developers should follow the specifications
– Testing after implementation
– Delivering the finished result to user
– Self-organized & self-driven team
– Collective responsibility
– Smart work rather than hard work
– Face-to-face conversation.
– Deliver working software frequently
– Welcome Changing requirements
– Satisfy the Customer rather than negotiations.
My first encounter with Agile
It was the First encounter with Agile; we practiced many ways in our project which was again a good learning on Agile.
First basic requirement of Agile is be adaptive and be ready for the Change.
– Used Mingle, Story Boards, Charts (Kanban) for sprint planning.
– Story weight age – Fibonacci (as per time or difficulty)
– Retrospectives (Some Retros can be done even on lunch table)
– Pair Programming, TDD,
– Short Demos and interactive discussions
– Continuous Integration
If you are following Agile then ‘CHANGE IS INEVITABLE’
Process Learning & Improvements
As a newbie, few interesting learning experiences which I learnt through are:
– MOSCOW Principle: Integrating your requirements in 4-5 parts mainly
– Must have
– Should have
– Could have
– Would have
– & nice to have ()
And thus prioritize your stories accordingly.
SCRUMMING the Scrum:
– Change something daily to improve something i.e
– may be cleaning your code.
– cleaning your work place.
– may be improving your test coverage.
– may be some small enhancement in UI apart from routine work.
Few common mistakes & practices might lead agility to fragility. . To avoid that few key requirements are as:
Regular Retrospectives – indulge transparency in team & business people.
Estimation of story points – proper estimation of stories.
Short term Demos – can minimize your iterations.
In short my learning is Agility comes from within by adopting it more in you !